Saturday 12 September 2015

Autumn Lull

As the season changes and we move from summer (such as it was) into autumn, I find that life has suddenly got a bit more hectic. There seems to be some strange thing that happens where I feel the need to kick myself up a gear. The kids go back to school and that means early mornings, and I find that I feel compelled to get on with the day as soon as they are dropped off. No more leisurely summer days that seem to stretch out, instead, as the nights draw in, I'm in bed by nine. This means that I cram as much as I can into the school hours, so it's a never ending round of grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking and also little jobs that were put on hold while I gave the boys some time and attention. 
 Alex and I have also been keen to get on with sewing up my vintage wardrobe, so this week she kindly began my 1930s dress. It's going to be a corker! I am dedicating a whole blog post on the dress once it's finished, but I may give you a sneaky look beforehand.
 I'm not too enamoured about the impending gloom of the seasons ahead, I certainly did not get my quota of sunshine and I'm not looking forward to battling the elements, I swear this is because I'm getting old, I used to love autumn and the dark nights, but now, in the words of Morcombe and Wise, bring me sunshine! However, I shall endeavour to get pleasure out of whatever the good old british winter will bring us. 
 We have managed to do a small amount of antiquing in lovely Matlock today, I didn't get much but what I did get was just darling. I am one lucky duck!


What you are looking at is a mini collection of goodies, a sweet unused compact, (I'm aiming for one in each of my handbags, so I don't have to remember to change them when I switch bags), a lovely nautical inspired collar, soon to be added to an appropriate top and the star of the show, a Bakelite buckle. This buckle is exactly what I wanted for my aforementioned dress and leapt into my hands of its own accord. It was a whole 50p and at that price I could have squealed with delight, but I didn't, I've already been told off for that! 
 The dress is an exact reproduction of one found on the Internet and I can't wait to show it off to you, but for now, here is a quick peak at the sleeve area.


Oh, it's going to be so lovely, with correct colours and buttons, it will belong on a lavishly produced period drama and I shall wear it with pride.
 We also found a retro shop in Matlock that was selling lovely dead stock hair accessories from the 50s but I have too much hair stuff as it is, but it was amazing to find all the things still beautifully packaged and sitting there just like it was still the 50s. What a lovely day, il leave you with a moody shot of me taken by my youngest son.


I blame my mother for my naturally sulky look, it's not because I am sulky, honestly! 
                        Till next time dears xx

1 comment:

  1. What a delight, I can't wait to see the forthcoming dress when the wonderful Alex has completed it. I have visions of her sitting at her sewing machine in a dark and dingy garret, one candle in the corner and a small, moody fire spluttering away and making the poor dear cough. While the wicked Miss Pond stands over her with a whip (vintage of course) and cackling her orders. I do admire her - Alex that is, she must have a lot of patience.

    I'm only being slightly nasty towards you, because you have been a cheeky sod, blaming your sulky look on ME, your poor long suffering mama. The sulk comes from my mother, I have my dear father's sweet smile.

    Message from the cafe. WE WANT MORE CAKE. XX

    ReplyDelete