Friday 25 September 2015

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Well, the title is actually completely untrue! It should be the most wonderful time but in actual fact it is "the most germ ridden time of the year". Yep Autumn, season of mist, mellow fruitfulness and the sound of sniffing and coughing. Every year without fail my whole household plays host to the blossoming germs as they use us as guinea pigs to see how much snot they can expect to produce in the average human. This is not a new thing, when I was growing up, I would have to endure an annual bout of tonsillitis and a delightful stomach bug that pounced each Christmas.
 This week, myself and my youngest son have been struck down with some disgusting minute critter that decided it's lodgings would last a full week and then some! So I haven't felt up to much in the way of antiquing and blogging. I have been stuck in pyjamas all week too and have been staring at beautiful clothes on the Internet and my period dramas with some longing. In fact, my period dramas have been the closest thing to vintage I've had all week. I have even (shock horror) gone off food! So all in all I've been pretty sorry for myself. Now, I'm not the best patient ( Alex is nodding madly here), I'm grumpy, I get bored and I want to feel well two minutes after getting ill, so you can imagine my joy when I started to return to the land of the living today. Alex suggested a small trip to get some material to finish my 1930s dress and I jumped at the chance to be outside for a little while. 
 Also, I purchased a food processor, this is because I'm a lazy sod and want home cooked food but at the mo, I haven't the energy to stand chopping and peeling stuff. I will use it to make soups and smoothies too. A friend of mine, a big beefy chap called Trev, had obviously thought I needed some feeding up too and gave me a lovely bag of veg he had grown himself.


Look at that lovely goodness, and this was just a selection! So armed with my new gadget, I will be making crispy potato slices, green beans and salad with homemade dressing and lamb for my tea. I'm not sure it gets much better than that. This next week will definitely be used to get some strength back and return to normal eating habits. Tomorrow, Alex and I will be doing a smidgen of antiquing, ( I will shrivel and die of withdrawal if I dont ) and then coming up with food ideas that will be simple to make.
Here is a photo of a very poorly Miss Pond. I'm the blob in the middle. 


Do not fret, I have not been overcome by some ghastly force (what do you mean you can't tell the difference! ) and just to prove it, here are a couple of photos of only a slightly germy moi.


No that's my stupid cat Bertie, not a germ, although......


I will keep you posted on my endeavours with my food processor, but can assure you all that no matter how much weight I lose, I will always resemble a page three girl in a certain department ( my ankles of course! ).
                             Till next time dears xx

1 comment:

  1. Aaahhh, poor miss Pond. Yes, I remember the bouts of tonsillitis which prevented you from having Christmas Dinner every year. I also remember taking you and your brother to a pantomime, only to have you throw up before we got there, and spending the whole performance standing in the side aisle so you could dash to the ladies if you felt like doing it again. Thankfully you didn't.

    I did think you've been a bit quiet all week, but you managed to produce a prolific amount of grub for the ladies in my RA cafe, for which the ladies will be eternally grateful:

    Tomato and Basil soup
    Carrot and Coriander soup
    Oxtail soup
    chicken and mushroom soup

    Savoury muffins
    Fruity vegetable muffins
    Salted caramel muffins

    Key lime pie
    Individual pear tarts
    pumpkin pie

    and the usual batch of meat and non meat pies.

    Get well soon dear daughter, I hope you will be well enough for our weekly chat tonight. xxx

    ReplyDelete