Thursday 1 October 2015

10 Facts About Me

As this blog may be read by more than my family, I thought I would share a few facts about myself so that others can know me a little better. O yes, and you thought that I would only bore you with vintage tat. Well this sort of post has served other bloggers well, so it can't hurt, can it? Here we go then;

I Love Anything to do with Fantasy.
When I was kid, I was forever daydreaming. I am proud to say I have a good imagination that I have spent many hours fuelling with books and films and poems and art. Things that draw my attention are things that have a lot of soul in them. They stir you and make you a part of them. This was never more so, when one day whilst poorly from school, I watched The Labyrith by chance. I was gripped from the word go, it was literally like seeing inside my own head. Such a beautiful visual film with great music. O, and the rather fabulous David Bowie may have something to do with it.

The Doctor is my Hero
Another thing very much loved from childhood. He would do anything to save you, has a time machine and can change his face every now and then... What's not to like! 

Favourite Song
O Children, by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. It's just full of feeling and utterly beautiful. Be warned, it's not a happy song though, but very inspiring.

Pet Hate
One thing guaranteed to make me want to punch someone in the face, is when they pronounce "th's" as "v's". I mean, come on, how flipping hard can it be. It's not "vem" it's "them". Don't do it people, I will snap! 

Favourite Book
500 Mile Walkies. My mum and dad suggested I read this book one Saturday morning when I was whinging on at them about being bored. I am so so glad they did, it's so funny. I read it every year without fail around spring and summer, when I'm dying to be out in the country. I read their copy to death, then they bought me my own, which fell apart after several years of reading. Then Alex bought me a beautiful hard back copy that will hopefully take longer to fall to bits. A cracking read! 

Favourite Weather
Now I know I've been banging on about the sunshine and warmth recently, but that's just because I'm getting old. My actual favourite weather happens to be the sort we get the most of; warm damp and overcast. This is purely down to memories. My parents would ( for reasons unbeknown to me ) suggest going for walks in the country and down canal tow paths in this sort of weather, so when I'm presented with a day like that, I'm immediately transported back to those times. Togged up in bizarre jumble sale clothes, usually with a margarine tub in hand, traipsing down paths that lamas would think twice about going down, in search of blackberries or minnows if there was a pond or stream. They truly surpassed themselves though, when one day, after torrential rain, they turned up at my school gates with shopping bags full of a picnic tea. Now I forgive them as it was in the days before weather apps, but, we ended up in a park's cricket pavilion veranda, eating soggy sandwiches and watching the rain sheet down, while I cried my eyes out about being flooded ( I told you, vivid imagination ), and my dad gave me a duster that was in his pocket to wipe up my tears! 

I Adore My Parents
Now I know, everyone does, but it has to be said because I am so my parent's daughter. I would just not be who I am today were it not for them. They are bonkers, unique and would do anything for me. I know that I appreciate the world and life the way I do because of them, and that's not just sentimental talk, it's because I was always allowed to be me. They never stopped me singing away in my bedroom each night to Kate Bush songs, they would spend so much time with us kids each holiday, they didn't farm us out to other people, and that gave me a real sense of family. You can't put a price on things like that.

I Can Sing, Paint and Draw
I'm not being big headed here, there are many things I would like to do well but fail miserably at. I can, however, do the things mentioned above. I'm not a singer in the sense of a pop singer, thankfully, but rather in big band, musical sort of way. Basically, I can belt it out, I have a big vocal range and can, oddly enough, do very good impressions of quite a few singers ( men included ). My painting style is very much influenced by the Pre- Raphealites. Several people now have my paintings on their wall.

I Wish I Had Curly Hair 
I always have and always will, it would be so much easier, but no, I am lumbered with poker straight hair that just hangs there. Typical!

I Once Got My Head Stuck in a Chair....
This is one of a few embarrassing incidents I got myself into. They happened largely because I was being me. Now being me is great but, I don't seem to get on very well in the real world, I am more suited to the rose tinted world that occupies my head and sometimes the two clash. One such occasion was at primary school, when at the end of the day we had to put our chairs on the tables and stand behind them and say a quaint little prayer. Now, this particular day, I wasn't saying the prayer, I was wondering what it would be like to peer through the gap between the chair seat and the back rest.  Of course this had to be tried out, so I shoved my head through, only to discover that not only could I see exactly the same things as I could when I was just stood, but also, my head was not going to go back through. To cut a long story short, my friends went home holding their sides with laughter, while it took two teachers to take the chair apart so I could be freed. I have also pretended that two lines of freshly laid Tarmac were train tracks, that I promptly fell on and got tar stuck all over me, particularly my face. That resulted in the school nurse trying to get the rapidly hardening tar off my face using butter! Heaven knows why she thought that would be a good idea as the warm tar only melted the butter and ran all over me. What my mother thought that day when I came out of school I'll never know!

So there you have it, a little bit of an insight into me. I hope it allayed any notion that I might be normal, and has shown you that I'm happily a bit odd. Back to vintage tat next time.
                    Till next time dears xx

5 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of Labyrinth, I watched my VHS copy so many times as a teen, that I wore it out! It's one of my absolute favourite films and I was beyond infatuated. I did a blog post about my love for it.

    I love Doctor Who too, I've even done a few style inspiration posts. Also a big lover of the pre-Raphaelites and curly hair, but then I am lucky enough to have a head of curls all my own :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Melanie, it's great to know that others like the stuff I do. The Labyrinth is a wonderful film and will remain a true favourite of mine. I am very jealous of your hair though. I hope you continue to enjoy my blog, I'm very happy to have a reader that I haven't had to pay to look at it! Xx

      Delete
    2. Aww, thank you! I love my curls too and can't understand people straightening theirs. I look forward to getting to know you x

      Delete
  2. Melanie, some people are just so lucky. I've always wanted curly hair too (I'm Miss Pond's long suffering mum by the way)

    Darling daughter, I wanted to read this out to your dad but couldn't as I was laughing so much, I almost peed myself!

    Anyone else reading this blog, I can highly recommend 500 mile walkies. Boogie just has to be the ugliest, funniest dog ever. Favourite quotes from the book are: man to wife- "ere, this is what a dog looks like when it's been to London.' Then to Mark Wallington ' Shall I shoot him for you?'

    Another man on a beach finding shellfish qualified everything he found with the comment:
    "boil 'em up, little bit of brown bread and butter - lovely"

    I think Miss Pond acquired her sense of humour through reading books like this. Oh, and it's true about the singing, painting and drawing. She also writes a bit as you can see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most certainly did get my humour from such books like 500 Mile Walkies and the dry humour of the Adrian Mole series. Well written books can be read over and over again. Xxx

      Delete