Friday 9 October 2015

Look to the Past

I told you a while ago that Alex was working on a 1930s dress for me. Well it's finished and I must say, I love it! It's based on a true 1930s dress that we found a picture of on the Internet. Here is the process in full.


This is the start of the project, it was completed in Alex's home as she has more room there. First off we took a basic Jersey dress from the 80s that we found in a vintage shop. It was the perfect length and shape for my dream 30s dress. First, Alex took off the trims that adorned the neckline and sleeves, then she took the dress in by a good inch and a half, from underneath the arms down to the bottom. This gave the dress more shape and a lovely drape on the top half.



Next, she made a pattern for the new sleeve embellishments and the new neckline. These would alter the look of the dress even more.



We decided to use the curves and points that reflected the Art Deco influences of the period, with the sleeves echoing the neckline but not copying it exactly.



We had lots of red jersey left from my circle skirt and thought that it would contrast beautifully with the blue, we discussed white but decided this would look too sailor like. The red and the blue are classic colours of the era and work a treat. We kept the White for the extra touches we would add to the dress later.


Next, Alex added a pocket based on a 30s design.


Finally, she constructed a belt for me and threaded it through my gorgeous Bakelite buckle. A hook and eye were sewn on to keep the belt slipping through whilst being worn.

 
And here is the finished article, it all marries together so well I think but I know you want to see it on, so here we go...




These were taken today, I love the way the dress looks, it's exactly what I wanted and I'm so grateful to have someone who can make me these lovely things to wear. I think it looks very 1930s, so much so, I'm off to demand I'm an extra in Poirot.
                         Till next time dears xx

2 comments:

  1. The wonderful Alex has surpassed herself. The dress is gorgeous and really suits you. Although in my personal opinion, a pair of navy or white shoes would set it off perfectly. I love the hat and bag, The ideal 1930s outfit in fact. You will certainly look the part in a Poirot story, just as long as you're not the victim!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever Alex, aren't those colours striking together! xx

    ReplyDelete