Tuesday 6 October 2015

Variations on a Jumper

As it's now very much getting into autumn full swing, it's time to get out the sweaters and cardigans. Not that they were ever really put away this year, I certainly always felt it best to keep a cardi at hand most of the time, just in case. 
 It can be very nice to be able to feel all snuggled, but, I think that as the weather doesn't seem able to make its mind up, it's best to stick to layers and fine knits. I have several ( and by several, read tons ) of lovely soft jumpers and cardigans, and I thought it would be nice to show how they can be very versatile. 
 Now, like most people, my days vary, from being leisurely and pottering about to running around like a demented moron trying to cram far too much into far too little time. 
 The first look is very much geared to the latter. Those days when you just have to be practical and can't wear anything too fussy. 


I have taken inspiration from the late 40s, when women were wearing tailored trousers. These are are a good heavy cloth and have a great crease down the front. They are practical, comfortable and flattering. I put them with sensible brogues and my featured sweater. The sweater is a fine, soft knit. Warm enough without being too hot and bulky. I added a bakalite brooch from the 40s and pearl earrings. It gives a very classic look that is actually timeless. 


The second look is more dressy, for those days when you may be out and about but not necessarily running a billion errands. Note the one sleeve up one sleeve down look, I'm trying to start a trend and I didn't just forget to pull it down at all! Honestly! 


The brooch I chose this time is a pretty 40s number with pressed petals and is very autumn appropriate. I placed it at the top of the neckline in the centre, where I think it works very well.


The sweater was teamed with my blue 40s skirt and a gorgeous full petticoat underneath to give it shape and add some warmth. I also chose some lovely knitted tights and my cute 40s inspired dress shoes. 
Both looks were extremely comfortable to wear, especially now as I have lost a good inch or two from my waistline. 
 I have some great looks to show you all over the coming weeks, including a great full dress coat that is the perfect length for a true vintage winter look. I will also be showing off ( well, what else can I call it? ) some bargain jewellery finds and a couple of home knick knacks that I am lucky enough to now own. I spoil you all don't i?
                             Till next time dears xx

2 comments:

  1. To quote the foreign lady in the Ferrero Roche advert (sorry if it's spelled wrong) Monsieur or should I say Miss Pond, you are really spoiling us. I love these looks. You've been brought up well, adding a cardi instead of putting the heating up. A girl after my own heart. Jealous of the fact that you have lost an inch from your waist. I could do with losing a foot of mine! Yes, my steroids have been increased again! I also wish I could wear lovely woollen tights - but my itchy legs won't let me! I've always been a big fan of jumpers/sweaters/pullovers etc. I still spend hours poring over the Bon Marche website looking at them. Can't wait to see your next post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cosy looking outfits :)
    I love autumn as you can be cosy without being bogged down by heavy winter clothing. I found some lovely vintage appropriate black boots last year and was so pleased with them that I treated myself to the brown version when I saw them in the sale. Of course I forgot to pop them back in the box when the weather turned warmer so I'm convinced a spider has since called my boots home!
    Oh yes, lovely handbags too x

    ReplyDelete