Tuesday 13 October 2015

Happy Tat Hunting

In the last few days, I have turned a year older. I'm heading rapidly toward a rather significant age ( if the media is anything to go by ) and I think I'm ok with it. Well, put it this way, it's tough if I'm not! I am looking forward to my future years now that they are filled with vintage loveliness, so what better way to celebrate that future, than with a trawl round a fabulous antique store or two. 
 Over the last few weeks, I have been to a good few, including one in sheffield's antique quarter that I've previously not been to. There is nothing more calming, heavenly and all round soul inspiring than meandering around a full to the brim store that has gorgeousness jumping out at you at every turn. I found some lovely things at my usual rock bottom bargain prices.


This little box makes me very happy. It contains a 1930s bow brooch, a pair of amazing blue earrings from the 50s that will be turned into brooches, and a sweet little flower plaque brooch that is perfect for my coat lapel. The whole lot was only £4, just perfect.


Yes, I know you have seen the radio before, but point your peepers at the little beauty beside it. This is an adorable little bakelite microphone, in full working order. When I saw it, I knew I had to have it, so now I can truly play out my dream of being Judy Garland. 


At last! A large version of the 1930s/1940s photo frame that I've wanted for so long. I wanted a picture of someone in uniform in this one as that is what so many of them would have contained, and Alex had the perfect one. This is her much missed grandfather in his younger days. It's not the original, she kindly printed out a copy for me. Isn't he rather lovely looking?
  A girl who is embarking on a vintage spree, has to look the part so as to not show up the lovely tat she is browsing. 


I love red, it's such a warm colour. I found this 40s inspired blouse in a charity shop. It has glorious little pleats under the yoke that don't show up to well on my camera, but they are there.


This brooch was a gift to me, it's more 50s but I love it and it really goes so well with this outfit.


I have been experimenting with different ways to have my hair. This is a faux fringe, and was quite simple to do. It does require a few pins as my hair is heavy and there is plenty of it, but it's a great look that I am happy to report, stayed put all day! 
 So there we have it, my latest endeavours at tat finding. Here's to another year of happy hunting.
          Till next time dears xx

3 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! Love those fifties rose earrings, they're so pretty. And that microphone! Gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear. Yes that microphone is just heavenly.xx

      Delete
  2. What delightful little baubles. Judy Garland? I think you can do better than that! What about Nan Wynn? According yo Wikipedia:

    "Nan Wynn, born Marsha Vatz (May 8, 1915 - March 21, 1971) was an American big-band singer, and Broadway and film actress. She sang and recorded throughout the 1930s and 1940s with the Emery Deutsch, Rudy Vallee, Eddie Duchin, Richard Himber, Hal Kemp, Hudson-DeLange, Raymond Scott, Teddy Wilson and Freddie Rich orchestras. Wynn was born in Johnstown, Pennsylvania and grew up in Wheeling, West Virginia, where she attended high school, and sang in the school choir."

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nan_Wynn

    Pity I can't put a photo of her on here for you. Mind you, reading the rest of her story, perhaps you wouldn't want to be her!! Stay just as you are, our own lovely Miss Pond. xx

    ReplyDelete