Thursday 6 August 2015

Food Glorious Food

As I have mentioned briefly before, I am trying to eat a little more like folks would have done in the post war years. My parents kindly bought me a book filled with recipes, and for the last week, I have stuck to the food written about in this book. 
The main focus of the meals is on home cooked, wholesomeness that gave you a very balanced diet. It was full of fruit and veg and meals that were high in carbohydrates and good fats.
The breakfasts are the ones I have been enjoying the most, as in the past I have usually had a breakfast bar or toast or a croissant. This has been fine but I've found I'm usually hungry again by ten o'clock. I am not very big on the old will power front, I've usually found myself reaching for a snack around this time, and not the healthy ones. The breakfasts recommended in this book, however, are far more substantial. I've had dry fried eggs on toast, or boiled or poached. I've had porridge with honey, grilled bacon and tomatoes and even kippers! This has meant I've been fuller for much longer and its a great way to start the day.


The kippers really stunk the house out, but they tasted great.
Lunch has been an interesting affair too, before this approach, I would usually grab something on the go, a pre packed sandwich or a sausage roll perhaps and often with crisps. Now I make my lunch by making sure I have plenty in the cupboards to choose from. The recommended lunches are things such as sardines on toast, soup and often leftovers from the night before as people back then were still smarting from rationing, and didn't waste their food. I have been trying to do the same. One night I had made cheese and potato pie, and I had some left over, which I fried the next day with some leftover spam, chopped up and mixed in to make a potato cake, which I had with salad. This was truly tasty and I enjoyed every mouthful. So much so that I forgot to take a photo, but take it from me, it was fab!
My evening meal has often required some planning, but I've enjoyed being in the kitchen and the smell of lovely food cooking permeating the house.
The recommendation is for something filling but wholesome. I have enjoyed beef and vegetable pie, all handmade, a lovely potato salad that I made to go with low cost cuts of meat, such as ox tongue and other such simple but delicious food. They are all accompanied by lots of veg or salad.


My pie, so proud as I have never made pie before.


My lovely low cost potato salad and meat, I am fortunate that I find the less desirable cuts of meat to be really tasty.


I'm very pleased with this dish. It's called leftover omelette, and does exactly what is says on the tin. You can put anything in it that needs using up. I used half an onion that was doing nothing, the last of my ox tongue, some mushrooms that were left from the pie and the last bit of cheese that would have gone to waste. I really enjoyed it.
I have also made chocolate cake and jellies to appease my sweet tooth, as these are far better for you than the shop bought ones.
So there you go, my efforts to become a 1950s domestic goddess. I think it's a diet that I can easily stick to, as it's not calorie counting and denying yourself certain foods. It's just simple, tasty and filling meals that give you the fuel needed to carry on through the day.
                              Till next time dears xx

1 comment:

  1. These meals look truly tempting. The cheesy thing you made with left over spam, try it with corned beef one day. Lovely. We used to have lunch tongue, not as strong flavoured as ox tongue, and also a bit cheaper. There was no such thing as snacking in the 1950s, unless it was a slice of bread and butter. We had bread and butter with everything, to fill up if there wasn't enough. Even tinned fruit and evaporated milk would have a slice of bread and butter, which my dad used to mop up the milk with. And then there were condensed milk sandwiches! They would satisfy your sweet tooth but perhaps not very healthy. xx

    ReplyDelete