Tuesday 25 August 2015

So Much Choice

One of the greatest things I find about living a vintage life is the huge amount of choice you have. If you live in today's modern age then you are restricted to the fashions of that time only really, as many people don't like to appear out of date. Yes, you can go casual, smart, sporty and what not, but let's face it, there ain't too much difference between any of those looks. With vintage, however, you can embrace being very much out of date, and have so many decades to choose from.
 Many people who dress vintage, often gravitate towards the 50s and I don't really blame them. It's feminine, it's easy to wear and to source, but a lot of others will dip in and out of other decades (myself included). I adore the 40s mainly and my home reflects this especially, but I am drawn to the 30s more and more recently, and, as I touched on in an earlier post, I still wander into the 50s every now and then. The list of what you can do on the old outfit front is endless really.


This outfit is a good example of the different ways you can wear vintage. I was thinking that very much as people do today, the older generations would have had clothes that were still good to wear but were maybe a little last season, and so they would have teamed them with a more modern garment. Here I put tights and shoes that wouldn't look out of place in the 30s with a 40s skirt. The length was shorter due to fabric scarcity because of the war. 


The bag was a gift a few years ago from Alex, isn't it pretty?


I went with a 40s hairstyle, purely out of ease really but we can say it was serendipity.


How classic is this gorgeous cameo? My mum had a cameo ring once that she gave to me, sadly it's lost now, it would have been perfect with that brooch too! (Sorry mum)


Ignore the muffin top, this skirt fits me beautifully but my tights kept falling down, so I shoved some pants on top to hold them up, unfortunately they were my sucking in pants that don't suck in at all, they just shove it upwards and spill it over the top! I bet you are glad I told you that! Anyway.....


On to another decade, full on 40s. I find the 40s look so comforting, I think it's the muted colours and general sense of sturdiness that the clothes had.


Oh look, that brooch again, I love how things can look different depending on the what they are paired with. The outlying ring stands out so much on this cardigan.


Socks and true 40s brogues, you can't go wrong really. Ignore the scabby legs, insects tend to like my blood! (I reveal way too much on this blog)


So you see, lots of styles to choose from, and I hope to bring you more photos in the future of my outfits. I'm still learning really and take inspiration from other bloggers and all the lovely period dramas that have been made as well as pictures from the decades that can be easily found on the Internet. I have no problem at all with modern clothes, except when they are on me, as I have found I look a bit daft in them. I may have spent years trying to keep up with modern fashion and never looking right, but I'm happy at last that I found something that feels more like me. For me it's vintage all the way and il keep looking backwards, as it were. 
                             Till next time dears xx

2 comments:

  1. What can I say? Your blog just gets better and better. Love the brogues, and the check skirt. As for scabby legs, you've got nothing on me lovey and mine's not insects!! I don't have any 'sucking in pants' too much to suck in, so I let it all hang out - don't go there!!

    The cafe dwellers are loving your grub, and I've given them menus so they can select what they want. Quite a few are vegetarians so shall we add a bit of Quorn in there? But the sausage meat pie has gone down a storm with the non veggies. I forgot to mention, there are no calories in any of our food, so stuff like jam roly poly, marmalade pudding and bread and butter pudding are highly popular as is the porridge with honey. Keep it coming. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and if you ever take any more photos of pies, cakes or puddings, email them to me so I can post them on the cafe notice board. Thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete