Monday 6 July 2015

Hair Today

Today's post is a bit of an insight into how I try to incorporate vintage into my everyday life. You are all aware I wear vintage inspired clothes everday but I also try to make as many things I use and do as traditional as I possibly can. 
Most days are filled with housework, running errands, and running around after my two boys. For this reason I find it more practical to wear trousers for most of the time as this preserves my modesty slightly better than a skirt when bending and getting in and out of the car. I wear tailored trousers mostly with a high waist but I do own some high waisted 50s jeans with turn-ups. I pair these with various tops and cardies and add vintage accesories such as brooches and scarves and always earrings. Today I wore trousers with a top that Alex altered for me to give it a more 1930s feel, but it also works for my 50s looks too. She made a pattern to add the sleeve embellishments and then added on some vintage buttons that we sourced that were the perfect shade of red, lovely and vibrant.


Alex also set my hair in rag curls (a seamstress and a hairdresser, no wonder I have her! ). She rags my hair in the traditional way after spraying it damp with setting lotion, I then leave it to dry overnight and unwind the rags in the morning and brush through. My hair has been cut in a 50s midi cut, shorter at the front and graduating down to create a "U" shape at the back. This means the curls fall in the correct fashion when set and is a very easy to maintain hairstyle whilst also being true to my vintage roots.
Here is another photo of an everyday look.


I like to be as vintage as possible when caring for my skin too. I use a traditional cold cream to take off my makeup and then follow that with a traditional rose water and glycerin toner. I get both of these products from "Boots" and find them excellent value for money. Today's skincare products can be very silly money indeed but at less than £2 each, these don't break the bank. They leave my skin lovely and soft, which at my age is not to be sneezed at, and they last me three months before running out. Total value for money.


My lovely skincare products on my equally lovely Lloyd Loom bathroom cabinet, isn't it pretty?
Now I am going to be especially brave and show you a photo of my noggin in close up! AND with no makeup on!!!!


I hope you aren't put off by that! Please come back and view my next post, I won't scare you at the end I promise.
                        Till next time dears xx

1 comment:

  1. Don't pout, it makes you look as though you are sulking. Although I can see a resemblance to my mother at your age - although she was as skinny as a rake. No boobs, no hips, but very large salt cellars (you know what they are, don't you?) I know you won't be happy with me pointing out this resemblance though. xxx

    ReplyDelete