Friday 3 July 2015

Hemswell Happiness

Today, Alex and I tootled off to Hemswell in Leicestershire, to a disused airfield where several antique centres were, well, centred! We knew this to be the case as the oracle that is the internet told us so, only when we got there, we were slightly disappointed to find only two. One of these had mainly big furniture antiques and the other one had mainly junk. However we resolved to find something positive out of the day and got hunting. We found one room that had lots of mid century knick knacks, most of which were at daft prices that meant they would take a long time to sell, but I got a couple of little things nonetheless. 
The junk warehouse didn't afford much but Alex lifted up some old material to find a pretty Lloyd Loom washing hamper. I have wanted one for a while now but only seen ones that are either painted in garish colours, or are around £20, which is too much. This one was beautiful and cheap, so it quickly became mine.



We then decided to eat, and wandered outside to the tearoom only to be confronted with a map that showed where the other centres were on the airfield! So, as we didn't have much time left before we had to make our way home, we ate quickly and made a mad dash for the other warehouses. Imagine our horror ( well mine anyway, Alex doesn't do horror ) when we discovered that the fist one we went in was chock full of great stuff! We went round like couple of loons, as fast as we dared, looking at as many things as we could. I found a lovely little pot stand from the 50s complete with inappropriate pot that will be swapped for a far prettier one. Here are my finds.





The shoes are from the 40s and are a perfect fit and so so cheap, the photo frame is a complete darling and I shall replace the naff picture with a gorgeous old photo. The icing book is so lovely and looks great in my kitchen. 
We will definitely be going again now we know how much stuff is there as we didn't look round that warehouse properly and there was at least another one we didn't get chance to do. So you can expect further posts from Hemswell. 
I will leave you with a photo of what I wore, I usually wear little gloves with my dresses but even my crochet ones made my hands far too hot in this weather.


Yes that is my mug in the shot and what would appear to be the corner of my iPad cover! O well. 
I have to post the next photo to show my dad some lovely books I found in a charity shop, they are the cutest set of gardening books with lots of vintage advice on how to keep the flowers healthy. Love the prices on them too! You aren't having them father dear! 


                             Till next time dears xx

1 comment:

  1. You jammy what not. They look fantastic, and so do you dear miss Pond. Daddykins would enjoy browsing those gardening books, but he has his own (more recent) set. Can't wait until your next Hemswell visit & photos.

    ReplyDelete