Monday 6 July 2015

Vintage Specs

Since a teenager I have suffered with severe migraines, and I do mean severe. They would render me useless as all I could do was lie in a darkened room and wait for it to pass and I would be washed out for two days straight once it had gone. The reason for this is my rather pathetic eyes, they hate everything about the world and have a nervous breakdown when confronted with any chane in temperature or light. Not great when they need to be used all the time I am conscious. 
Since I now have a magic pill that stops a migraine dead as long as I take it quick enough, I do not fear an attack as much as I used to but my eyes still insist on behaving badly. They will stream in an alarming fashion at any time they like. I have tried not wearing eye makeup but still they open the floodgates the second a mere breath of wind even threatens to come near them. It is for this reason that I wear sunglasses no matter what the weather, come rainy rain, come shines shine, come snowy snow, come cloudy cloud, come........(I could go on but I'm sure you get the point). While this ensures I look like a total moron in any season except summer, it does mean I get to sport my rather lovely vintage sunnies. 
I have three pairs at the mo; 


A rather lovely 40s pair in blue,


A totally gorgeous 40s pair that were gifted to me and are a darling pale green,


And a late 30s pair in a dashing deep tortoiseshell. 
I find that most outfits will suit at least one pair, so I always look as put together as I can.
All lovely then, I hear you say, well yes it was until recently.
Screens have always played a part in modern society but now especially, there appears to be a screen for every occasion, no matter what you are doing. As a newbie to technology of any kind (my tv remote still baffles me) I wasn't sure what to expect when I looked at anything smaller than my tv. I was pretty sure, however, that I wasn't supposed to be seeing two of everything. So off I popped to my opticians where I was told that I needed glasses to help me see close up. 
This is not normally a problem as you pick some frames get them made and hey presto the world has sharp edges again, but it can be a problem for a mega fussy vintage nut such as yours truly.
I scanned the racks in search of a pair of frames that would enhance my vintage attire rather than ruin it. I didn't have a wide range to choose from, in fact out of goodness knows how many frames, most of which were roughly the same as each other, there was a grand total of two that harked back to bygone times. 
I selected my pair and informed the optician of my choice in eyewear. The lady looked at my selection, and informed me in a manner usually used to address muppets, that I had picked a "very old lady" style and wouldn't I prefer a more modern pair. I smiled my best smile and directed her to my " very old lady" style of dress, which had clearly escaped her notice before now (so much for working in an opticians). This seemed to satisfy her, and arrangements were made for me to collect my specs, presumably I would be returning with a Zimmer frame to do this. So here is the offending pair;


As you can see I have gone the whole hog and added a pearl lariat just to ram home how my choice of frame clearly means I am one step away from the nursing home. (Rant over!) anyhoo I am very pleased with them and it means I can blog without seeing double. But seriously, opticians of the world, have more frames for those of us who don't follow modern trends, we want to look stylish in our own way too.
              Till next time dears xx

1 comment:

  1. Lovely specs. Sadly I have the opposite problem and don't produce anything remotely damp from my eyes, so have to wear sunglasses that practically cover my whole face. Like you, I can't stand sun, wind, or staring at a TV or computer screen too long - some hope!!

    ReplyDelete