Thursday 30 July 2015

Overcast Skies

The weather recently has not been what it should be for this time of year, and my plans for wearing bright 30s outfits while sipping lemonade in my garden have been put on hold. I'm hoping that we will get some kind of summer at some point but, until we do, there is no need to let the weather dampen our spirits. 
I have been enjoying the wonderful moody colours of the clouds and the humidity and smell of the air and grass after rain. It was also an excuse to wear some knits in cosy colours and make some wholesome comfort food. You will know from my last post that I am trying to eat like they did in the 40s and 50s and so far it's going well. I have a decent breakfast of usually eggs and a simple lunch, then I make a good hearty dinner of pasta or stew or meat and veg. 
Last night however, I used my new cookbook and made a beef and vegetable pie. 


This pie is very hearty, filled with beef, potato, carrots, mushrooms and onion, and it is just what a person needs when the weather means you are cooped up inside watching "Poirot", no bad thing of course. 


This is me enjoying the excuse to go full on 40s.


This brooch is a reproduction of a novelty brooch, the kind that were popular in the late 40s-50s and was a very thoughtful gift to me. 


What you can't see here, is that my tights are the same colour as my sweater and looked very effective.


Once again I rolled my hair at the front and added a flower, it really is a simple but pretty hairstyle.

On Saturday, Alex and I are going to Staffordshirre to 1940s weekend, we are only going for the day but I hope to have lots of photos to show you. I can't wait!
                         Till next time dears xx

2 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoyed your vintage pie, and that the thought of your poor deprived parents never even got a sniff of it. LOL. I'm thinking back to the days when our 'fridge was filled with little dishes of leftover meals you never finished. There we were, thinking we were giving you good healthy food of a traditionally British nature - which, as you mentioned in your last blog you turned your nose up at. So when you started nursery and had to have school meals, I was rather anxious about you. But, when you got home and I asked you if you'd eaten your dinner, you said yes in a very enthusiastic way. What was it? Anxious mum asked cautiously. Chicken curry and rice came the reply!!! Glad you're eating better now though. :-)

    Love your outfit in this photo. I often see those novelty brooches on Flog It or Bargain Hunt. I had a pair of lovely shoes just like those, just before my RA diagnosis. I thought I had fallen arches, and my shoes had arch supports. Lovely. Apart from the heel (which I couldn't cope with now) I wish I still had them. Oh look, I've made a blog out of my comment. Chat later on the phone. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS are those ordinary tights? Back in the day we could get what were called 'Lisle' stockings. Not sure if that's how it's spelled. I'll look them up as I'm sure you could still get them. A bit like thicker denier tights, but they felt a bit crepe like. xx

    ReplyDelete